Monday, October 14, 2013

Math Monday......Pumpkins

 
 
Math Monday.......Pumpkins
 
Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this time of year and all of the fun things you can do?  Well, I do and there are SO much to incorporate into learning.
 
Today, in Math Monday we are going to be using pumpkins.
 
You can do so many things with pumpkins for math (and science and reading and just so many other things). Below I will give you some ideas of how you can incorporate them into your math lessons.
 
Have each student bring in a pumpkin.....various sizes and shapes encouraged.
 
Weight and Measurement
Bring out the measuring tapes.....introduce what a measuring tape is and how to use it.  Let your students measure their pumpkin in height and width.....even measure the stem (if there is one).  They can measure their own or have a center set up with many pumpkins so they can measure more than one.  You can create a worksheet to compare and graph (I don't have one right now, if I get time later  I will create one and add it to my blog). 
 
 
You don't have to use measuring tapes.....use Lego's or paper clips or how about all three to compare measurements.
 
Line them up for a pumpkin parade.....shortest to tallest
 
Adding and Subtracting
Cut one or two of the pumpkins up and get the seeds out......use the seeds for adding and subtracting....(another worksheet I will be working on). 
Sorting and Graphing
Have the students sort the pumpkins by size, color and shape.
Graph your results
All of these activities can be used as whole group, centers or as individual work.
 
Look for the worksheets to go with these activities later on. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment